call us

Tax & Accounting in Spain

Prevention is better than cure – by relying on our trustworthy team of experts in Spanish tax law, you will make sure you comply with your tax obligations in Spain, avoiding costly mistakes, and get valuable advice on the legal ways to save money.

How will Klev&Vera assist you in tax and accounting matters in Spain?

Get in touch
Contact us and explain your situation.
Send us the documentation
Show us your last filed tax returns in your home country or the documents we may need for your case.
Rely on experts
Let us advise you on your tax obligations in Spain, calculate your tax burden in advance, and file the forms for you.
let's start your process today

Klev&Vera, your Tax & Accounting English speaking lawyers in Spain

In tax law there is an endless variety of combinations, depending on your types of income and the countries where you receive it from, making each case unique. Our expert Tax team will walk you through the whole process, starting by getting a full understanding of your tax obligations as an expat or non-resident in Spain, and ending by filing all the corresponding tax forms.

Our law firm is made up of English-speaking lawyers and tax advisers who have years of experience working with international clients.

A premium service for a stress-free process.

International Tax Advisers in Spain

Thousands of foreigners choose to settle or invest in Spain, but not everyone knows all their tax obligations. Understanding international tax rules and handling tax forms in a foreign country can be a complex process; mistakes and misunderstandings can cost you a fortune. Relying on the assistance of your English-speaking tax adviser and accountant can reduce the stress and give you peace of mind that your tax matters are all up to date. Here at Klev&Vera we provide a clear, professional and cost-effective service to all clients looking for help with their tax and accounting matters in Spain.

Corporate taxes and accounting for your Spanish business

Tax Advice to find the optimal corporate structure
Corporate Tax and Annual Accounts
Quarterly Tax Filing for Companies
Accounting and Payroll
Disputes with the Spanish Tax Office and Tax Inspection

Personal taxes for expats and non-residents

International Tax Advice
Beckham Law Applications
Personal Income Tax for Residents and Non-Residents
Wealth Tax and New Large Fortunes Tax
Declarations on Foreign Assets for Spanish Tax Residents (Modelo 720)
Disputes with the Spanish Tax Office and Tax Inspection
Double Taxation Treaties
contact us now

What you need to know about Tax Law in Spain

  • When do I become a tax resident in Spain?

    Spain considers you a tax resident if you spend more than 183 days of each tax/calendar year in Spain, or if you have your main centre of vital or economic interests in Spain. In particular, Spain presumes, unless you can prove the contrary, that you have your centre of vital interests in Spain if your spouse and/or underage children live here.

    However, if at the same time you are considered a tax resident in your home country by the national tax rules of your country, we would need to refer to the criteria established by the Double Taxation Treaties, to see which country prevails.

  • Can I have a residence permit in Spain and remain a tax resident in the USA?

    Very few types of Spanish residence permits (e.g. Golden visa) allow you to renew your residence even if you haven’t lived in Spain for more than 183 days per year. However, most regular residence permits oblige you to spend more than 6 months per year in Spain to qualify for renewal. It will also be necessary to look at the Double Taxation Treaty between Spain and your country to see the residence criteria. In such cases it is always advisable to talk to a tax expert in both countries to make sure that you are complying with your tax obligations in both states.

  • What is the so-called Beckham law in Spain?

    The so-called Beckham law in Spain is a special tax regime that allows foreigners who move to Spain to pay tax at a flat rate as non-residents (24%) as opposed to the resident income tax rate (progressive 19-47%). The flat rate applies only to the income earned in Spain, 24% on up to €600,000, and 47% on income above that.

  • Do I qualify for Beckham law in Spain?

    The Start-Up Law of December 2022 introduced significant improvements to who can qualify for it, so you can apply for it if you fall into one of the following categories:

    • Employees who relocate to Spain to work for a Spanish company
    • Company directors regardless of their share in the company capital as long as the company does not qualify as a patrimonial holding. In cases of patrimonial holding companies the director must hold less that 25% of the share capital
    • Entrepreneurs that move to Spain on an “entrepreneur visa” of 14/2013 International Mobility Act.
    • Digital nomads with employment contracts abroad.
    • Highly qualified professionals that provide services to companies that are considered start-ups, or carry out training or R&D&I activities, provided 40% of their total income come from such activities.
    • Family members of the above (spouse and descendants)
  • Who needs to pay a Wealth Tax in Spain?

    The Wealth Tax in Spain is a regional tax, so each region has liberty to decide whether to apply it or not, and in which conditions. It applies to taxpayers individually on their personal wealth, not on their annual income or transactions. This is calculated on the basis of the value of all the taxpayer’s assets. In most cases, the following rules apply:

    • Exemption of €300,000 for the taxpayer’s main residence.
    • Exemption minimum of €700,000 for both resident and non-resident taxpayers.
    • Obligation to file a tax return for taxpayers whose Income Tax return is to pay, or, if the total value of the assets exceeds 2 mln €.

    However, the national government in 2022 decided to introduce a temporary National Wealth Tax, which basically charges those taxpayers that did not pay the Wealth Tax regionally. This measure is a temporary one (for 2022 and 2023 tax years initially).

  • Who needs to pay a Large Fortune Tax in Spain?

    In 2022, the Spanish government introduced a new temporary tax (for 2022 and 2023 tax years initially) on taxpayers whose net worth exceeds €3.7m. Tax residents will be taxed on their worldwide assets, and non-resident taxpayers whose net worth exceeds €3 million will be taxed on their Spanish assets only. Tax rates range from 1.7% to 3.5%.

  • What taxes do I need to pay in Spain as a non-resident property owner?

    Each real estate owner in Spain needs to pay a municipal Land Tax (IBI – Impuesto de Bienes Inmuebles). It is calculated by local Tax Offices based on the cadastral value of your property and is usually paid by all owners as they receive the forms prepared by the local Town Halls. However, some people may miss paying their Non-Resident Income Tax, which is due on the national level. When you own real estate in Spain as a non-resident, it is implied that you have a property at your disposal, so even if you don’t rent it, it is deemed that you receive a so-called “implied income”, and you will be taxed on it. It is usually a very small amount, but if you don’t file the tax forms on time you can receive a fine and have to pay it with an interest. Our tax adviser can help you file all the forms on time.

  • All my income comes from the UK, do I need to pay taxes in Spain?

    If you spend more than 183 days per calendar year in Spain you can be considered a tax resident, and will need to file your income tax forms in Spain on your worldwide income. The good news is that the UK – Spain double taxation treaty will prevent you being taxed twice on the same income. Your tax advisers can calculate what you need to pay in each country.

What our clients are saying

Anna and her team are very professional, always available by the means of contact that suits you best - email, phone, text and always respond promptly. I 100% recommend Anna and Klev&Vera to anyone looking for a smart, reliable and resourceful team of lawyers for assistance with any matter, specifically for cases involving the tax office or the social security office here in Spain. As a foreign national it is crucial to have good legal representation and Klev&Vera is an excellent choice.
Anna & her team were essential in helping me when first moving to Spain. They helped with the accountancy and legal aspects of autonomo registration, something which can be very complicated, especially expats. I would definitely recommend Klev & Vera for any legal or accountancy needs.
Klev&Vera, your English speaking lawyers in Spain.

Related news

Do I pay tax on money gifted to me from abroad?

July 16, 2022
Many wonder when and how much they will be taxed when transferring money or donating. A common misconception is that taxes only need to be paid on money transfers over 3000 €.

Catalan outdated taxes paralyzing the sale and purchase of properties will be lifted in 2022

The Catalan Civil Code will be amended later this year to prevent a medieval tax, which continues to be enforced by current legislation, from continuing to intervene with the purchase and sale of estates.

How long do you have to file company accounts in Spain?

The Spanish Ministry for Economic Matters and Digital Transformation (MEMDT), led by Nadia Calviño, has announced that it will be more rigorously enforcing punishment on so-called ‘zombie companies’ that do not file their yearly accounts with their Commercial Registries (Registros…

Explore all our news posts

View all news

We are here to help you.

Preferred contact method

Google reCaptcha: Invalid site key.