call us

How to get married through a notary in Spain?

Spanish law has been recently updated to allow couples to get married before a Notary. By instruction of the Directorate-General for Legal Security and Public Faith, Notaries now have the same authority to conduct marriages as other authorities in Spain. This will help avoid the rigid hours and backlog of government offices and speed up the process.

Before getting married in Spain, it is necessary to obtain a certificate granting permission to marry (Certificado de Capacidad Matrimonial) or certificate of civil status. Notaries can now receive the appropriate documents and submit them to the Civil Register (Registro Civil). Once permission is granted, the same or another Notary may conduct or “celebrate” the marriage.

While this process provides an additional option for those wanting to get married, the process still involves a great deal of documentation and bureaucracy. According to the Directorate-General’s instruction, applicants need to provide a number of documents including, but not limited to:

  • Application Form (Solicitud de Matrimonio Civil)
  • A current valid passport
  • Original birth certificates (legalized and translated, if is the case)
  • Certificate of No Impediment (Certificado de no Impedimiento)
  • Certificate of Permission to Marry (Certificado de Capacidad Matrimonial)
  • Certificates of previous marriages and divorces/annulment/death (if applicable).
  • Proof of Spanish residency.
  • Certificate proving current habitual place of residence in Spain (Certificado de Empadronamiento) of at least 2 years (if not a Spanish citizen).
  • Information about any children in common prior to marriage.
  • Other documentation required by the region.

Documents must either be original or authenticated. Documents not in Spanish must be accompanied by an official translation (Traduccion Jurada). Foreign documents must also be authenticated in both Spain and the country of origin.

Furthermore, if one of the parties is not proficient in Spanish, an authorized or sworn translator must be present. Two witnesses familiar with the parties must also be present at the ceremony. The notary will also conduct separate interviews with each person.

The Notary performing the marriage will also register the marriage with the Civil Registry (Registro Civil), a requirement for all marriages in Spain.



Klev&Vera is a boutique law firm to offer premium legal services to international investors and businesses in Spain. Klev&Vera consists of a multilingual team of lawyers and paralegals, each of them with international background and specialising in different areas of legal practice.

Related news

What is the difference between the NIE and TIE in Spain, and which one do you need?

NIE and TIE are two different documents that are often mismatched or confused. If you are a foreigner thinking of investing in Spain or going to live there, you have probably already heard of these and are looking for some…

How to get married in Spain if you are a foreigner

Getting married is so much more than saying “I do”. It implies having the documentation in order, making a series of decisions, and having legal responsibilities that we will explain below.

Pet custody laws in Spain

As of recently, as the latest European country to do so, a new law in Spain has come into effect regarding animal rights (The Economic Times). This new law recognizes animals as sentient beings, or living beings, endowed with sensitivity,…

Explore all our news posts

View all news