call us

How to get your Civil Status certificate for Spain? (UK citizens)

The process for a foreign national to get married in Spain can be a long and confusing process. There are several different documents required by the Spanish Authorities. One of those documents is a civil status certificate. This is used to certify that a person is free to enter a marriage and must be issued by the country of the person intending to marry. This article explains that process for a British Citizen.

The British version of a civil status certificate is called a Certificate of No Impediment or a CNI. A UK-issued CNI can be obtained by giving notice of marriage to your local register office or registrar in the UK. This UK-issued CNI is only valid within the UK and must be exchanged for one that’s valid in Spain. To do this, an application pack with supporting documents must be sent by registered post to the British Consulate in Madrid.

The application pack includes an application form, a credit card authorization form and an affirmation (Declaración Solemne). The fee for the application is 62 € plus postage. The affirmation must be fully completed and signed before a Notary Public in Spain. It needs to include the details of the applicant, the details of the applicant’s parents and the estimated date and place of the intended marriage. Attached to the application pack must be the required supporting documents. They include a passport photocopy, proof of address either in Spain or in the UK, an original birth certificate photocopy and any documents related to a previous marriage if divorced or widowed which prove that the applicant is free to marry.

Once the application pack and supporting documents have been sent to the British consulate in Madrid, the application will be processed within 30 working days. A civil status certificate will be then issued that is valid for three months in Spain.

For more information on this process or for help with getting married overseas, please contact Klev&Vera Law firm.

The application pack can be found on the UK government website.



Klev&Vera is a boutique law firm to offer premium legal services to international investors and businesses in Spain. Klev&Vera consists of a multilingual team of lawyers and paralegals, each of them with international background and specialising in different areas of legal practice.

Related news

How to get a self-employed work visa in Spain

With this work permit you have the freedom of working as an independent contractor, giving you a lot of liberties in your business ventures and personal opportunities. If you always wanted to move to Spain and experience the Spanish job…
spain startup visa requirements

How to get the entrepreneur visa in Spain

To get the Spanish entrepreneur visa, which is also frequently called the start-up visa, you must know what requirements you need to fulfill. Starting a business in Spain might look difficult and a little confusing at first, so here is…
How to get a regular work permit in Spain

How to get a highly qualified professional work permit

Do you wish to work in Spain in a highly qualified position? Then this work permit option might be for you. The highly qualified visa, also known as the highly qualified work permit in Spain is a work permit that…

Explore all our news posts

View all news