call us

Can I Start a Business as a Foreigner in Spain?

October 25, 2021

It is certainly possible to start a business as a foreigner in Spain. You just need a business plan, enough capital, and the right documentation. Some of these things will differ depending on whether you want to be self-employed or start a limited company.

For those wishing to start a business on a self-employed basis (Autónomo), you will first need two things before beginning the startup process. You will need a work permit and a national identification number (NIE). To obtain a work permit for setting up an Autónomo, you will need to submit a business plan, a copy of the documentation proving sufficient training and experience, and proof of sufficient finances to support yourself and do business. This will accompany other documentation and forms required by Spanish authorities. Citizens from EU countries do not need to apply for a work visa, but do need to apply for a NIE.

Like a work visa, a NIE can be obtained at a Spanish Consular office, but can also be obtained at a police station in Spain. This number will serve as your tax identification number and allow you to register, open a bank account, and proceed with the rest of the required steps for starting a business. You will also need to register with the Spanish census authorities (el padrón). Once these requirements for living and doing business in Spain are met, you simply need to go through the rest of the steps for setting up a business. One is obtaining an electronic signature or digital certificate as this is often a requirement in Spain. Others include registering with the tax authorities, social security authorities, and getting whatever licenses and permissions may be necessary.

If you wish to start a limited company (Sociedad Limitada), there will be additional requirements. You will not need to get a work permit, but you will need a NIE. Additionally, you will need to open a Spanish bank account with a minimum deposit of 3000€. Because there will be Notarial requirements, it may also be a good idea to seek a Power of Attorney as well as an electronic signature so that someone, such as a lawyer, can submit registrations and sign documents on your behalf. Non-residents will also need to submit a Form 030 and receive a national tax ID (NIF). Once these fulfillments have been met, you may proceed with all of the other required steps such and company registry and obtaining a company tax ID (CIF). With that your business will be established.


Anna Klevtsova

Anna holds an LLM in International Human Rights Law, and is a Certified Lawyer with the Bar Association of Barcelona. With more than 20 years of legal practice in International Law, Anna specialises in business set-up, investment transactions, and immigration strategies.

Related news

How to get a self-employed work visa in Spain

With this work permit you have the freedom of working as an independent contractor, giving you a lot of liberties in your business ventures and personal opportunities. If you always wanted to move to Spain and experience the Spanish job…
spain startup visa requirements

How to get the entrepreneur visa in Spain

To get the Spanish entrepreneur visa, which is also frequently called the start-up visa, you must know what requirements you need to fulfill. Starting a business in Spain might look difficult and a little confusing at first, so here is…
How to get a regular work permit in Spain

How to get a highly qualified professional work permit

Do you wish to work in Spain in a highly qualified position? Then this work permit option might be for you. The highly qualified visa, also known as the highly qualified work permit in Spain is a work permit that…

Explore all our news posts

View all news