Copyright 2021 Klevvera.com
All Rights Reserved.

(+34) 93 17 60 190


USA: (+1) 646 475 67 89

UK: (+44) 203 868 94 90




KLEV&VERA > Immigration  > How do you homologate a degree in Spain?

How do you homologate a degree in Spain?

Recognizing academic qualifications in another country is not always as easy as it sounds. Getting an overseas qualification officially recognized (“homologación de título”) in Spain means that it has the same academic and professional value as its Spanish equivalent.

The process of degree recognition in Spain is a complex and time-consuming one and there is no automatic recognition of academic qualifications between EU countries. It usually takes between 6 and 12 months.

Who needs degree homologation in Spain?

You may need to have your university degree recognized in Spain if you want to work in a professional field that requires academic credentials, if you want to apply for a job with the Spanish government, and if you are applying for postgraduate studies at a Spanish university that require official recognition of your qualifications from your home country.

Where to apply for degree homologation in Spain

In order to grant official validity in Spain to educational degrees obtained abroad, you must initiate a process of homologation. The homologation application can be applied for at the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture, and Sport (MECD). This is the best way of making an application as the MECD is the department responsible for authorizing recognition. You can apply through the MECD website and also at the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country. Furthermore, any Spanish government office that serves as a public registry office at the national, regional, or local level can take applications for homologation.

Requirements and Documents for degree homologation in Spain

Requirements and documents for the homologation of degrees in Spain: Before applying for homologation in Spain, you must ensure that the degree is official in the country of origin, that the degree was completed in the country of origin, that all previous years of schooling are validated, and that there is equivalence with the Spanish degree both academically and in terms of content and duration.

The following documentation (or copies) need to be provided:
– passport or official ID,
– degree certificate from your home country,
– proof of payment of homologacion fee, if applicable and
– proof of competence in the Spanish language (sometimes requested)

It is important to consider that as the studies are carried out abroad, in some cases the documents must be official, legalized and translated so that the Spanish Ministery can certify the authenticity of these documents. Translations can be done at the Spanish Embassy or Consulate abroad, the Embassy or Consulate of the country issuing the document in Spain or a sworn translator abroad if his signature is legalized.

If you want to enroll in a Spanish school or university and your diploma is not yet homologated, you can apply for a so-called “volante de inscripción provisional”. The application for this volante is made the same day as the homologation request and once obtained it will temporarily allow you to finalize your registration at the university. You should consider though that in the event of a refused homologation, achievements carried out during this time will be useless.

Author: Natalie Efiamarho

No Comments

Leave a Comment

In accordance with the precepts in Constitutional Law 15/1999 for the Protection of Personal Information and the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 EU, Klev&Vera Law Firm, SLP wishes to inform you that all the information Klev&Vera Law Firm, SLP receives within its different services is processed with maximum confidentiality and security, and will be incorporated into an automated file of whose creation the Data Protection Agency is duly informed. The data you provide us, namely your email address and your location (if applicable) may be used for sending you advertisements or any other information that may be of interest. Information requested and marked with an asterisk (*) is required. In any case, you can exercise your rights of access, rectification, suppression, portability, and limitation or opposition to data processing by writing to Klev&Vera Law Firm, SLP. In your request you must include your name, and your address for notification purposes, date and signature of the applicant and also a photocopy of ID or passport or other documents, in order to verify your request, all without prejudice to other purposes and/or procedures established by legislation. For sending such requests you must use a way which proves its sending and reception.

You hereby accept and give your consent freely and with sufficient information, to provide the above information for its delivery and processing, as well as allow us to pass your data to third parties who collaborate with us for the correct functioning of our firm.

Our official address is: Carrer de València, 281, 2º 2ª, 08009 Barcelona, info@klevvera.com.