Copyright 2021 Klevvera.com
All Rights Reserved.

(+34) 93 17 60 190


USA: (+1) 646 475 67 89

UK: (+44) 203 868 94 90




KLEV&VERA > Spanish Visa  > Digital Nomad Visa in Spain – requirements published

Digital Nomad Visa in Spain – requirements published

The Spanish Immigration Office on International Mobility has published the long awaited detailed list of documents that digital nomads applicants need to provide.

Rather than clarifying the situation, the list still raises more questions that are yet to be answered.

Apart from the obvious documents, such as:

  • Passport
  • Application forms
  • Background check – police certificate – novelty – only from the countries where the applicant lived during the last 2 years (earlier – 5 years)
  • Proof of remote employment or professional activity

the list requires to provide:

  • Certificate of coverage of the Social Security of the country of origin of the applicant, OR registration of the “foreign company” in the Spanish Social Security Office
  • Official degree related to the occupied job position, OR proof of relevant professional experience
  • Private or public health insurance – not required in cases of registration in the Social Security

Questions that these requirements raise:

Does the Immigration Office want to see “certificate of coverage” of both, remote employees and self-employed nomads? Does the “foreign company” term apply only for remote employees, or also to self-employed nomads?

It obviously slows down the application process, and would limit the number of digital nomads with the possibility of relocating.

Why does the Immigration Office actually needs to see the degree of the digital nomad, or be proven of his/her professional experience? It seems overreaching, as the degree/professional experience does not appear in the list of requirements set by Article 74 TER of the 14/2013 Act… Would it be logical to conclude that the digital nomad is qualified for his work under his/her national law IF he/she has proven his/her continued work for the current remote employment, or being able to work as self-employed in the country of origin…

Regarding the health insurance certificate, will providing a health insurance exempt from Social Security registration?

The list also requires to provide (effectively set by Article 74 TER of the 14/2013 Act):

  • Proof of real and continued activity of the employer or collaborating partner or “group of companies” of the remote worker, for at least one year before initiating the digital nomad visa application.

Questions that this requirement raise:

How can a digital nomad prove the “continued activity” of his/her collaborating partners? Does the Immigration Office want to see last filed tax returns of the collaborating partners of the digital nomad? Will those collaborating partners be willing to provide those tax returns to the digital nomad? Will a Certificate of Good Standing be sufficient in case of companies? It obviously complicates significantly the application process and requires further clarifications from Spain…

It seems we still need to wait to receive further instructions from the Spanish International Mobility Office, or see how the first applications be processed and what level of flexibility be applied to digital nomads.


No Comments

Leave a Comment

In accordance with the precepts in Constitutional Law 15/1999 for the Protection of Personal Information and the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 EU, Klev&Vera Law Firm, SLP wishes to inform you that all the information Klev&Vera Law Firm, SLP receives within its different services is processed with maximum confidentiality and security, and will be incorporated into an automated file of whose creation the Data Protection Agency is duly informed. The data you provide us, namely your email address and your location (if applicable) may be used for sending you advertisements or any other information that may be of interest. Information requested and marked with an asterisk (*) is required. In any case, you can exercise your rights of access, rectification, suppression, portability, and limitation or opposition to data processing by writing to Klev&Vera Law Firm, SLP. In your request you must include your name, and your address for notification purposes, date and signature of the applicant and also a photocopy of ID or passport or other documents, in order to verify your request, all without prejudice to other purposes and/or procedures established by legislation. For sending such requests you must use a way which proves its sending and reception.

You hereby accept and give your consent freely and with sufficient information, to provide the above information for its delivery and processing, as well as allow us to pass your data to third parties who collaborate with us for the correct functioning of our firm.

Our official address is: Carrer de València, 281, 2º 2ª, 08009 Barcelona, info@klevvera.com.