Copyright 2021 Klevvera.com
All Rights Reserved.

(+34) 93 17 60 190


USA: (+1) 646 475 67 89

UK: (+44) 203 868 94 90




KLEV&VERA > Family Law  > How to dissolve a common-law partnership in Catalonia?

How to dissolve a common-law partnership in Catalonia?

These days it becomes more popular for couples to cohabit without even the intention of getting married. Nevertheless, couples often want to put their relationship on a more solid, practical and lasting footing. With the “pareja de hecho“, a legal status that a couple can apply for and that requires them to have a long-lasting relationship in which they have lived together for at least 12 months, Catalonia has granted couples legal protection even if they are not married.

However, as with marriages, cohabiting couples can also separate if, for example, the love is over or living together becomes unbearable.

There are various ways to end the validity of a civil partnership:
– If one member of the couple has passed away,
– by mutual agreement (in the case of unmarried couples a simple notification to the register is sufficient)
– by the simple and unilateral decision of one partner, if he/she notifies the Register of Civil Partnerships,
– if there is a de facto separation of more than 6 months, and
– when one of the partners marries.

If there are children, joint property or claims, the separation becomes complicated.

If one of the partners is financially worse off when a couple separates, a “restorative pension” can be agreed upon to compensate for this. If no agreement can be reached, a judge may also be called upon to award it.

When it comes to children, a verbal agreement is usually reached in which the former partners decide on who will take care of the children, the visits of the other partner and how the children’s expenses will be shared. Since this kind of agreement is only possible if there is a good understanding between the parentsit is better to agree and carry out a legal procedure to establish who has custody, visitation of the other party and child support.

If the house was bought by both of them, each member owns half of the property. If there is no agreement, a judge can be asked to divide the estate, and he/she will also decide who should stay in the house.
When there are common children, housing will be enjoyed by them and the parent left in their care, even if he/she is not the owner.

If the house where the common-law couple lived together is rented, both can stay holders of the rental contract. If only one is listed as the owner the law provides for the possibility of transferring the lease under the same conditions and with the same rights to the person with whom the holder cohabits, provided that the relationship has lasted at least two years or there are joint children.

If the couple separates by mutual consent, the assets can be distributed verbally or through a private document, if there is no common real estate. If they shared real estate or if they agreed an economic regime, the distribution would be made by means of a public deed. If the couple does not reach an agreement for the distribution of its patrimony and has common goods, it will have to go before the judge.

Author: Natalie Efiamarho

No Comments

Leave a Comment

In accordance with the precepts in Constitutional Law 15/1999 for the Protection of Personal Information and the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 EU, Klev&Vera Law Firm, SLP wishes to inform you that all the information Klev&Vera Law Firm, SLP receives within its different services is processed with maximum confidentiality and security, and will be incorporated into an automated file of whose creation the Data Protection Agency is duly informed. The data you provide us, namely your email address and your location (if applicable) may be used for sending you advertisements or any other information that may be of interest. Information requested and marked with an asterisk (*) is required. In any case, you can exercise your rights of access, rectification, suppression, portability, and limitation or opposition to data processing by writing to Klev&Vera Law Firm, SLP. In your request you must include your name, and your address for notification purposes, date and signature of the applicant and also a photocopy of ID or passport or other documents, in order to verify your request, all without prejudice to other purposes and/or procedures established by legislation. For sending such requests you must use a way which proves its sending and reception.

You hereby accept and give your consent freely and with sufficient information, to provide the above information for its delivery and processing, as well as allow us to pass your data to third parties who collaborate with us for the correct functioning of our firm.

Our official address is: Carrer de València, 281, 2º 2ª, 08009 Barcelona, info@klevvera.com.