call us

New arrangements for exchanging UK and Gibraltar driving licences in Spain (from 16 March 2023)

March 31, 2023

As of March 16th, 2023 Spanish residents who were previously unable to drive in Spain using their UK and Gibraltar driving licence will now be able to drive for the next 6 months. Agreements between the UK and Spanish governments have allowed these licences to be valid for use temporarily.

Previously, those with a UK, Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man driving licence would not be able to renew or replace their licence while being a Spanish resident. However, they would still be able to use their original driving licence for up to 6 months after becoming a Spanish resident. After those 6 months were over, they would have to apply for a Spanish driving licence.

This new arrangement organized by the UK and Spanish governments would allow for Spanish residents with a UK or Gibraltar driving licence to drive for the next six months starting March 16th, 2023. If your UK or Gibraltar driving licence has expired, but was still valid when you first became a Spanish resident, you will be able to exchange it for a Spanish driving licence. If you became a resident after March 16th 2023, you will be able to drive using your original licence for the next six months as usual.

If you plan on exchanging your UK or Gibraltar driving licence, you may do so within 6 months of March 16th, and the exchange will not require taking a practical or theory test. Instructions on how to exchange a UK and Gibraltar Licence for a Spanish one as a Spanish resident can be found on the Spanish Traffic Authority (DGT) information page.

Spanish residents with a UK Blue Badge have the option of returning it to their UK issuing authority and applying for a Spanish disabled parking card instead.

For further information on the topic, or to keep up to date with the ongoing developments, please feel free to take a look at our regularly updated news blog, or keep an eye on our LinkedIn and Twitter for any updates. Or, if you require legal advice, please do not hesitate to contact us.


Anna Klevtsova

Anna holds an LLM in International Human Rights Law, and is a Certified Lawyer with the Bar Association of Barcelona. With more than 20 years of legal practice in International Law, Anna specialises in business set-up, investment transactions, and immigration strategies.

Related news

What is the difference between the NIE and TIE in Spain, and which one do you need?

NIE and TIE are two different documents that are often mismatched or confused. If you are a foreigner thinking of investing in Spain or going to live there, you have probably already heard of these and are looking for some…

Digital Nomad Visa: what you need to work remotely in Spain

October 10, 2023
In 2023, digital nomad visas became available to attract remote workers to live in Spain. If you are a remote worker looking to take advantage of this opportunity, this article contains information on the new digital nomad visa and what…

Digital Nomad Visa in Spain – requirements published

The Spanish Immigration Office on International Mobility has published the long awaited detailed list of documents that digital nomads applicants need to provide.

Explore all our news posts

View all news