call us

Your valid UK driving licence will now be recognised for driving in Spain until 30 April 2022

March 5, 2022

Update: The validity of British driving licenses has been updated. Read more in our latest news on the UK driving licences agreement.

Following on from our previous news post, the validity of British driving licences in Spain after Brexit has been extended for the fourth time. Below you can find the updated guidance, case by case.

If you were living in Spain before 1 January 2021

Your valid UK driving licence will now be valid for driving in Spain until 30 April 2022.

If you registered your intention to exchange with the DGT before 30 December 2020, you must request an appointment with the DGT to exchange your UK licence by 30 April 2022. You must follow this procedure to complete the process without taking a test.

If you did not register your intention to exchange with the DTG before 30 December 2020

If you did not register before then and need to drive in Spain, it would be worth considering your options before the outcome of the ongoing negotiations. In that case, visit this website to follow the DGT process for non-EU nationals to obtain a Spanish Driving licence, which will include both a theory and practical driving test.

If you began the process but did not complete the exchange before the deadline and require further information, you may contact the DGT.

If you moved to Spain after 1 January 2021

Your valid British licence will be recognised for 6 months from the date you obtained residence, or until 30 April 2022, whichever is later.

If you live in Spain and hold a UK licence

You must exchange your UK driving licence for a Spanish licence to drive in Spain and are unable to use an International Driving Permit (IDP) instead.

If you have a licence issued by Jersey, Guernsey, or the Isle of Man

If you hold a valid licence from Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man you will need to obtain a Spanish licence within 6 months of becoming resident. You are currently unable to exchange your licence for a Spanish one and instead must apply for a Spanish licence as a non-EU national, which includes taking a driving test.

Disabled drivers

Anyone holding a UK Blue Badge and living in Spain must return it to the original UK issuing authority. You may apply for a new Spanish disabled parking card. We suggest contacting your local town hall or social services department for further information on this process.

Driving with a Spanish licence outside Spain

You can drive when visiting the UK with your Spanish licence and if you return to live in the UK you may exchange your licence for a UK one without taking a test.

To drive in another country, you may need to apply for an IDP, in addition to holding your Spanish licence.

If you need legal advice on this matter, Klev&Vera would be pleased to assist you through this process, do not hesitate to get in touch with us.

If you would like to learn more, take a look at the Spanish Traffic Authority’s (DGT) guidance on using and exchanging licences in Spain (in Spanish, with English translation).


Anna Klevtsova

Anna holds an LLM in International Human Rights Law, and is a Certified Lawyer with the Bar Association of Barcelona. With more than 20 years of legal practice in International Law, Anna specialises in business set-up, investment transactions, and immigration strategies.

Related news

What is the difference between the NIE and TIE in Spain, and which one do you need?

NIE and TIE are two different documents that are often mismatched or confused. If you are a foreigner thinking of investing in Spain or going to live there, you have probably already heard of these and are looking for some…

Digital Nomad Visa: what you need to work remotely in Spain

October 10, 2023
In 2023, digital nomad visas became available to attract remote workers to live in Spain. If you are a remote worker looking to take advantage of this opportunity, this article contains information on the new digital nomad visa and what…

New arrangements for exchanging UK and Gibraltar driving licences in Spain (from 16 March 2023)

March 31, 2023
As of March 16th, 2023 Spanish residents who were previously unable to drive in Spain using their UK and Gibraltar driving licence will now be able to drive for the next 6 months. Agreements between the UK and Spanish governments…

Explore all our news posts

View all news